We all know how AI-based systems can be a real burden to your company’s energy bill and to reaching global climate goals. How about exploring AI’s capabilities to achieve the opposite? By deploying artificial intelligence to reduce your carbon footprint instead of enlarging it, you cannot only help the planet but also improve your company’s profits.
“But is my industry ready for AI implementations…?”
Big chance that it is. AI can be a net positive contributor to environmental sustainability in almost any industry. Some examples to inspire you:
- In agriculture, AI can transform production by better monitoring and managing environmental conditions and crop yields. AI can help reduce fertilizer and water, all while improving crop yields.
- In energy, AI can use deep predictive capabilities and intelligent grid systems to manage the demand and supply of renewable energy. By more accurately predicting weather patterns, AI can optimize efficiency, cutting costs and unnecessary carbon pollution generation.
- In transportation, AI can help reduce traffic congestion, improve supply chain logistics, and enable autonomous driving capabilities. AI can support businesses with demand forecasting, helping to reduce the amount of transport needed.
- In water resource management, AI can help reduce or eliminate waste while lowering costs and lessening environmental impact. AI-driven localized weather forecasting will help reduce water usage.
- In manufacturing, AI can help reduce waste and energy use in production facilities. AI can design more precise and efficient systems.
- In facilities management, AI can maximize the efficiency of heating and cooling. AI can help optimize energy use in buildings by tracking the number of people in a room or predicting the availability of renewable energy sources.
- In materials science, AI can help researchers find new materials for solar panels, for turning the heat back into electricity, and help find absorbent materials that take CO2 out of the atmosphere.
AI uses a great deal of energy, and most companies have yet to learn how to measure their environmental impact. We need to stir up the debate around AI’s environmental impact. Join us on December 13 to get started.
The RoundTable: Sustainable Manufacturing
Sustainability in Manufacturing is related to developing products, goods, and services that involve meeting our present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to fulfill their own needs. Sustainability as a concept recognizes that the environment is an exhaustible resource. Therefore, it is essential to use the environment and its resources rationally and protect it for the good of the Earth, our environment, humanity, & all living things.
Read more about the RoundTable here
Upcoming event: Training ”Improving Supply Chain with Machine Learning”, December 13 2022 Register here
This article is part of the AI Innovation Series, organized by the AI Innovation Center. The series focuses on the application of AI in the manufacturing industry. Learn more here.
Best preparation for the future
For those still struggling with the role of AI within their manufacturing company and the ones that have already made the first steps, our AI in Manufacturing Innovation Series is the ideal starting point for your next steps. Read more about the activities here. Subscribe to be updated about the sessions; it will be the best preparation for the future of your company.
See all upcoming activities and the outcome of the events throughout the innovation series here.